Gesso is a water-based acrylic paste that has extraordinary coverage. It is also excellent for primer paint, even for porous surfaces.
The gesso can be classified as:
- soft gesso, which is mainly used primer paint.
- hard gesso used for decoration
This latter gesso paste is often used to make lace ornaments.
Press the gesso into a silicone pattern and spread with a spatula.
Since the gesso hardens relatively fast and retains its elastic, continuous texture, it can be removed from the pattern mould easily.
However, special care has to be taken to handle weak points and undercuts. Later, you can colour, paint, shape or modify them with various effects.
- It is not dangerous, not harmful even in case of skin contact.
- It can be diluted with water and
- washable with water
- good surface coverage
- It is hardened by free relatively quickly
However, due to its water base aspect, it tends to dry out, losing its desired quality or becoming unusable.